Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Becoming An Editor, An Editee, and Page Turners

I received my first critique in my creative writing class. She enjoyed my piece, but did have some things that she didn’t care for. I understand what she was telling me that I should add and edit. And even though I understand I’m going to wait until I get all of my responses before I do editing. I’m keeping my mind what she said and figuring out where I can put in her suggestions but I don’t want to change too much there aren’t any other people with the same problem.

I printed out the pieces that I have to critique and will start reading them tomorrow. I have four different pieces to read and they don’t seem too long. The longest one was nine pages and I think that might be the most difficult. I decided t o print them out so that I can make notes on the sides plus I prefer paper. I know it’s not the best for the environment but I find it easier to read and edit something when it’s in my hands. This is why I write out everything (stories, papers, etc) first before typing them. Sometimes I write them twice (I did with a 30 page story I was writing) because I get three edits that way.

It’s the same with books. I know that t he Kindle is a huge thing right now, but I don’t think I could give up my books. I always keep every book I’ve bought. My mom doesn’t quite understand why I can’t get rid of them, but I’ve heard of other people who do that same. But I love the feel of the pages and turning the page to get to the next part of the story. It’s thrilling and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment